Nutrients are important at every phase of life. But as we age our nutritional needs can change. Because of various reasons there are certain nutrients that you may need more of in this phase of your life. Take this mini quiz to learn more about some of these nutrients.
1. Protein is important for older adults because:
a. It helps maintain muscle mass and keeps bodies strong
b. It helps support the immune system c. It helps blood carry oxygen around the body d. All of the above
2. All of the foods below are good sources of protein except:
a. Chicken, beef, fish b. Beans, peas, lentils c. Milk, yogurt, cheese d. Butter, cream cheese, sour cream
3. Vitamin B-12 is important because:
a. It helps your body make red blood cells b. It helps your body stay hydrated c. It helps your body prevent sunburn d. All of the above
4. Vitamin B-12 can be a nutrient of concern for some older adults because:
a. The ability to absorb vitamin B-12 can decrease with age b. Older adults don’t eat enough vegetables c. B-12 tastes terrible to older adults d. None of the above
5. True or False: Many older adults do not drink enough fluids throughout the day.
a. True b. False Scroll down for answer key
1. d. Eating enough protein can help prevent loss of muscle mass that normally occurs with aging. Protein also supports the immune system and helps blood carry oxygen throughout the body.
2. d. Butter, cream cheese, and sour cream are not good sources of protein. Good sources include chicken, lean meats, fish, eggs, beans, peas, lentils, nuts, seeds, milk, yogurt, cheese.
3. a. Vitamin B-12 is important because it helps your body make red blood cells, keep nerves healthy, and many other functions.
4. a. The ability to absorb B-12 decreases with age. Taking certain medications can also decrease absorption of vitamin B-12.
5. a. Many older adults do not drink enough fluids to stay hydrated. Feeling of thirst can decrease with age, and concerns about bladder control may prevent older adults from drinking enough fluids. It is important to stay hydrated to prevent dehydration, help with food digestion, and absorption of nutrients.